Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Why Blogging is a Terrible Idea

Nothing is as powerful or as alluring as mystery.  Do you ever notice that in the scariest movies the monsters only appear briefly?  It's better that way.  No matter how scary they look, they're scarier unseen.  No film director can match the power of our own imaginations.  We can imagine creatures a thousand times worse than any on the movie screen.

We love mysteries, but still we beg for them to disappear.  We beg magicians to reveal their secrets, but once they do, the magic is lost.

As a child, adults mystified me.  Adults got to do all these secret things that I never got to try, like filling out tax returns.  I once heard about this mysterious thing called Calculus.  Other people knew about Calculus, but no one would explain it to me or even tell me what it was, like it was this huge secret.  Years later, I took a Calculus course.  It was much more intriguing before I knew what it was.

Mystery is why the nighttime is so captivating.  It's why quiet people fascinate me.  No one knows what they're really like.  They won't share their thoughts.  Their thoughts are too secretive to share.  This is why I fear that blogging could be a terrible mistake, because once you know my thoughts and experiences, the mystery will be lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment